Selection Packing List – Price Comparison from local Fort Bragg Military Surplus stores
There are some additional items that can be brought to SFAS, POAS, and CAAS. Those items are listed on the Packing List for your Selection.
Check with the most up to date packing list and use judgment when bringing anything to Selection. Anything you are not sure of, be prepared to throw it away or in most cases, to leave it in your personal bag. You will not have access to your personal bag.
18X / 37X usually have plenty of practice getting their gear together and the foresight to bring foam rollers, canteen straws, "dead hooker" bags, and other handy things.
Below are some recommendations for the additional gear you are allowed to bring and a price comparison chart for the different military surplus stores around Fort Bragg.
Additional Item Advice
- Note* What good is a sewing kit if you can't sew? If you can, take extra Engineer Tape. You can find some in the Craft Section at Walmart or Hobby Lobby. Learn the sewing basics
- Canteen Straws. Don't use the bite valves that come with the straw. Crappy design and they will fall off.
- Bite Valves. These are important unless you intend on dumping your water as soon as you start. The canteen straws come with the worst "bite valve" that will leak all over the bay and you'll be "that guy."
- Ice Bag. You will have the opportunity to ice your feet, injuries sometimes.
- Darn Tough Socks (Worth it!). Your feet will get wet, no matter the season. These have a lifetime warranty!
- Superfeet insoles for your boots. Your feet will thank you. FAQ
- Solomon Lace Kit for Running Shoes. The only lace kit worth kitting.
- Multi-Tool, not a knife. The pliers are important for undoing knots during Team Week.
- Compare Batteries for your flashlight and headlamp: article | image
- Headlamps. buy a headlamp with a red and BLUE light. The blue light will make reading your map so much easier.
- Large "Dead Hooker" Bag. This is just easier than stuffing a regular duffle bag when you don't have much time after layouts. This will come in handy many times during the Q.